I live and teach English in a town called Gokase in Miyazaki prefecture, Japan. Gokase is found at the very center of the island of Kyushu, and has about 4,500 people. You may recognize our governor, Hideo Higashikokubaru, from Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, which is called "Takeshi's Castle" in Japan.
The food available to me is a mixed bag. My school lunches present endless variations on the theme of bland. I'll give that topic a worthy post sometime soon. There are no restaurants in Gokase to speak of, with the exception of a hilltop hotel called Kijiya. At a faculty event there I had the singular pleasure of trying bees. The season for bee is short, just a month in the late summer. After having a number of bees one may begin to notice light swelling and numbness on the tongue. I assume that means they sting or at least release some poison as you eat them.
The closest city is Kumamoto, which has a handful of really fantastic restaurants. I stumbled into one called Asperge that has maybe 3 tables, and some of the best food I've ever eaten.
It's three courses of great French food made with local ingredients for about $12. Almost makes up for the commute. I've had some travels around Japan and spent my winter vacation in Taiwan, so I'll be sure to talk about that later.
I'm still recovering from a respiratory infection, so I should really get to bed.
よろしくお願いします (Very nice to meet you)
No comments:
Post a Comment